Tuesday, July 22, 2014

Book Review: The Most Magnificent Thing


Author: Ashley Spires
Pages: 36
Rating: ☕ ☕ ☕ ☕ ☕
My Thoughts:

I don't usually get teary over a book, especially a children’s book, but I admit my eyes were a little misty after reading “The Most Magnificent Thing” by Ashley Spires. The story is about a “regular little girl” and her canine best friend. They do all the things that one does when your best friend is a dog. One day she decides to make The Most Magnificent Thing, but it is harder than she expected. She builds and tinkers but she just can't get it right. The more she tinkers, the more frustrated she gets until her best friend steps in to help.

What really drew me to the story (and caused the misty eyes) was how much this story reminded me of my own daughter.  My daughter is roughly the same age, they have the same hairstyle, and they both get frustrated when their plans don’t work out perfectly.  The illustrations were fun and quirky. The emotions felt by the little girl were clear, I know because I’ve seen my daughter make the same faces when she gets frustrated.  I loved how the buildings in the background were simple line drawings detailed because it made the people and animals really stand out on the page.

I really fell in love with the messages in this book. It teaches children that it is okay to keep trying, even when you get frustrated, because someday you will get it right. 

A copy of this book was given to me for free by Kids Can Press through Netgalley to read and provide an honest review.


No comments:

Post a Comment