Friday, July 25, 2014

Review: The Secret Diaries of Lizzie Bennet



Hello, my name is Kristy and I’m a literary classics snob. I am guilty of rolling my eyes, scoffing, and whining whenever someone takes a beloved classic and attempts to rewrite, add a sequel, or change the POV. So when I first heard about the YouTube series “The Lizzie Bennet Diaries” I did all of the above and then promptly forgot about it. Then the gifs started appearing on my tumblr feed. I continued to ignore it. Then Wil Wheaton, one of the High Priests of Nerdom mentioned it on his blog, which prompted me to rethink my stance, but I ultimately brushed it off again. Finally a friend and fellow lit snob practically tied me to a chair and forced me to watch the first 5 episodes. I was hooked. The next day I begged my husband to buy me the companion book, “The Secret Diary of Lizzie Bennet”, penned by show writers Bernie Su and Kate Rorick, which had coincidentally dropped the day before.

Although the web series and the book can each stand alone, they are so much better when experienced together. This is why it is so difficult to write a review for the book alone because without it the book doesn’t have the same appeal. So I’m going to attempt to review both as a single unit. 


Both the book and the series begin with what is probably the most famous piece of dialogue from the original novel – only this time it’s written on a t-shirt. I told you this was a modern adaptation.


“It is a truth universally acknowledged that a single man in possession of a good fortune must be in want of a wife.”

This is when we meet 24 year old grad student Lizzie Bennet, who decides to take this t-shirt (a gift from her crazy, but well intentioned mother) and create a series of web videos about her life. It also helps that she can use the videos as her thesis project. Almost immediately we meet bestie and co-conspirator Charlotte Lu and the two other Bennet sisters, Jane the sweet tempered eldest and Lydia, the energetic youngest. Through her videos and diary entries the viewer gets Lizzie’s perspective (whether it is right or wrong) on her family, friends, and the very interesting new neighbors, Bing and Caroline Lee and their friend William Darcy. 

My original goal was to alternate reading the book and watching the episodes but I abandoned that plan after episode 10. I pawned the kids off on my husband and binge watched all 100 episodes, numerous Q&A’s and some of Lydia’s videos. The next morning I picked up the book and was pleasantly surprised. The book wasn’t a rehash of the web series but an addition to the series. Through Lizzie’s written diary we were able to hear about what happened off camera and hear her true feelings about what was happening. It fleshed out the supporting characters and added context to Lizzie’s patented costume theater.

The core of the story remains the same as the original source material but has been changed and adapted to fit with the Lizzie Bennet and Mr. Darcy of today. Going in I was afraid this would turn into Baz Luhrmann “Romeo + Juliet”. (*side note* - I do love Baz Luhrmann and his films. Just R&J is not one of my favorites.). Thankfully that was not the case and this was truly an original modern adaptation. The writers took the sometimes two dimensional characters from the original and breathed new life into them. My favorite character transformation was Lydia Bennet. In the original novel she was portrayed as a naïve flirt and nothing more. Bernie Su and Kate Rorick gave her more depth, more personality. Sure, she was still a naïve flirt but we learn that she is insecure and wishes escape from her sisters’ shadows. We hear her true thoughts and feelings and when she is betrayed by Wickham it broke my heart. Something I never felt for Austen’s Lydia. 

The Lizzie Bennet Diaries is a testament that Jane Austen can withstand the test of time. I could go on and on about character and plot development and the similarities and differences between the two stories. But I will save that for another post. In the mean time if you haven’t watched the YouTube series – do it. You won’t regret it. Even readers who have had a hard time getting into Jane Austen in the past will enjoy this modern twist on a 200 year old classic.

My Rating: ☕ ☕ ☕ ☕ ☕



No comments:

Post a Comment