Monday, February 2, 2015

Book Review: Seconds




Author: Bryan Lee O’Malley

Rating☕ ☕ ☕ ☕ ☕ (5)


I pretty much picked this this book up on a whim at work last Tuesday.  I noticed it on the shelving cart and I was curious to see for myself what all the hype was about.  The lesson I've learned from this is that I should randomly pick books off the shelving cart more often. This book was amazing! I don’t usually gush over graphic novels (although I do love them) but “Seconds” was just so fantastic that I went back and reread it immediately – and then I read it a third time before I sat down to write this.

This is the first time I've read anything by Bryan Lee O’Malley. I had heard of him before and I know about his “Scott Pilgrim” series, but I didn't have enough time or interest to seek it out.  O’Malley’s “Seconds” is about a young chef named Katie who is going through a major transition from being an executive chef at a popular restaurant to being a restaurateur, and things aren’t going very well. With the construction delays, relationship issues, and other adult problems, Katie hasn’t figured out if she’s sinking or swimming. When an accident occurs in the kitchen one evening – due in part to Katie’s negligence -- she is given an opportunity to fix ONE mistake when a mysterious young woman leaves her some directions and a magic red mushroom. But why fix one mistake when you can fix them all? But she soon discovers that there is a price to pay when you ignore the rules.
What I really loved about this story was the different layers. Too many times in graphic novels the characters are one dimensional, predictable, and boring.  But Katie, she’s a three dimensional character, she’s flawed and that is great. She is selfish, single minded, and barely takes notice of the people and world outside of her personal bubble. But she is also a hard worker and dedicated to her craft and making her dreams come true. There were plenty of times when I wanted to reach into the book and knock some sense into her, and then the next page I was laughing at some sassy remark she made.  Although Katie is the center of the story, I also loved the quiet Hazel. The relationship between the two of them is so comical and really gives the reader more insight into how Katie’s mind works.

Now for the art, can’t write a review for a graphic novel without talking about the one thing that makes it a graphic novel.  Simply speaking, the art is great. I love how O’Malley drew Katie, she stood out, not so much that she didn't look like she belonged, but enough to where I knew she was the main character and the center of the story. The color pallet was full of bright, earthy colors and a lot of thought was put into how the background colors were used to emphasize the actions and emotions in the panels. My favorite panels were pages 182-185. Check them out, they’re beautiful.
I really can’t praise this work enough. It was so beautiful and I really related to Katie, I mean who wouldn't want to go back and fix your past mistakes. I also adored Hazel, and I think O’Malley should write a short about her because she’s just so sweet and I want to know more about her.

Should you read this? Absolutely!

Even if you aren't “in to” graphic novels or comics? Once again, absolutely.


Am I going to go out and buy this book after I return this copy to the library? You bet. I've already ordered it from the Book Depository. 

No comments:

Post a Comment