Saturday, May 21, 2016

BookCon

I'm slowly, but surely getting myself back on track with this blogging thing. Last week as a graduation/anniversary gift The Husband and I went to Chicago for BookCon! It was my first time and it was crazy! I realize the event is only in its 3rd year, and its 1st year in Chicago, but there were a lot of logistical missteps on the part of the organizers. Probably the most glaring was that they seemed totally unprepared for the sheer number of people that arrived hours before the queue hall opened. The Husband and I arrived around 6:45 am - fresh off the plane - and we still ended up in line on the opposite end of the convention center - not the hall mind you, but on the opposite end of the building - a building that is also the largest convention center in the country.

Thankfully I'm older and more practical than some (read: many) of the younger patrons. I knew before we had even landed at O'Hare that it would be difficult to get a wristband for some of the bigger names, so I decided to focus on the authors I like who may not be as well known. Luckily it paid off and I secured myself wristbands to meet Naomi Novik and Lucy Knisely (and Gene Luen Yang). I even achieved my ultimate goal of meeting Ann M. Martin, an author I had been trying to meet for 23 years. She was only there for the panel and not available to sign autographs, but just seeing her on the panel was enough for me.

Of course I'm only touching on the surface of my BookCon experience and I plan on writing a complete run-down soon. However I am currently sorting through my ARCs and chaplets and trying to decide what to read first. If you want to see some pictures from my BookCon experience, head over to my instagram @klorenz2118.

No comments:

Post a Comment