Sunday, August 9, 2015

Book Review: Core Scramble




Author/Artist: Euho Jun

Rating☕ ☕  (2)

First let me preface this by saying I read a lot of BL manga/manhwa, so I am well aware of the common tropes and story lines in this genre. Some I can tolerate and still enjoy the story, but then there are the tropes that grind on my nerves so much I have to restrain myself from throwing the tablet across the room. This story was the latter.

The initial premise is confusing at first because the reader is dropped into the middle of a battle with no background information as to why this battle is happening. We meet the soldier, Chaeun, as he is forced to fight the mass of bugs alone after his commander abandons him to meet his girlfriend and the rest of his team are pulled from the fight due to injuries. After 7 hours he finally manages to eliminate all of them, but what he didn’t know was that he was being watched by the mysterious Moonhoo, who then shows his appreciation for the exciting battle by giving him a drink of water – using his own mouth.

At first Chaeun seems like a smart, honest guy. He cares about his colleagues and takes his job very seriously. His major flaw is his steadfast loyalty to his violent and reckless commander Gayoon. I understand why he stays with him initially, but as Gayoon’s violent attacks on Chaeun increase in number and severity, I have to wonder why he continues to stay on his team when there are other teams who are ready to take him. Basically, he is conforming to one of the most common BL tropes – staying with the violent, possible romantic lead because of some twisted form of admiration and love. The only trope more common than this one is the “Love Triangle” – which surprise, surprise is also hinted at. About halfway through this volume I was ready to call it quits, but I somehow managed to struggle on and finish it. I just didn’t like it. I’ve read too many stories like it in the past to find it interesting, and I can already predict what is going to happen in the following volumes.

The one redeeming feature in the entire volume was the art. The art was clean and the characters were handsome. The reference panels were also well executed. I just wish the story was tighter and original. Unless you are a huge fan and feel the need to read every BL story out there, I suggest you pass on this one and read something else.

No comments:

Post a Comment