Sunday, April 26, 2015

Book Review: Trigger Warning




Author: Neil Gaiman

Rating☕ ☕ ☕ ☕ ☕  (5)

I finally had the opportunity to read Neil Gaiman’s new collection of short stories. When I sat down to read Trigger Warning I wasn’t sure what to expect. I’m a huge fan of Mr. Gaiman, and I’ve enjoyed nearly everything he’s written, but I’m generally not a fan of short stories or poems. However this book could not have dropped into my hands at a better time. It's been a busy month; basketball, health crises, work, kids, etc... Which makes it difficult to get into a book let alone finish one. Trigger Warning fit perfectly into the chaos that was my life the last few months.

I never know how to review collections of short stories or poems, and it’s not any easier with Trigger Warning. Mr. Gaiman could probably write a novel for every genre and every age group and they would all be great; this time he wrote a short story for every genre and age group and collected them into one book. So you can understand my problem when I sat down to write this review. Since I am a fan, I have learned one very important lesson when reading Mr. Gaiman’s works, don’t skip the introduction! In Trigger Warning, Gaiman uses this space to explain why he chose the title and he also gives the reader a little insight into each piece included in the collection. The stories and poems included in this anthology are as creative as they are varied, and like any anthology, there were some pieces I liked, some I didn’t care for, and some that I absolutely loved. Gaiman’s own brand of wry humor shines through each story, making even the least satisfying story passable.

I wish I could write a review for each story, but I’m afraid by doing so I would give something away. However, my favorites were The Thing About Cassandra, Orange, and The Case of Death and Honey.

In The Thing About Cassandra, Stuart Innes keeps hearing from friends and family that they have recently spoken with his former high school girlfriend Cassandra. Which is odd since Cassandra isn’t a real person, but an imaginary girlfriend Stuart created when he was fifteen.

Orange is something to be experienced. It’s the story of a Jemima and her sister who has an unhealthy obsession with self-tanners.

The Case of Death and Honey is the story of Old Gao and the summer that an odd foreigner took an interest in his cantankerous bees.

Although there were one or two pieces that I didn’t care for, I am giving this a 5 cup rating. The overall quality of the stories and poems included make up for the odd miss. My overall opinion of short stories hasn’t changed, but now I’m a bit more willing to read more instead of avoiding them.

After reading Trigger Warning I was struck with an immediate desire to reread American Gods…

No comments:

Post a Comment