Thursday, August 21, 2014

Book Review: Nest


Title: Nest
Author: Esther Ehrlich
Publish Date: September 9, 2014
Rating☕ ☕ ☕ ☕ ☕

My Thoughts:

Once again the folks at Random House Children’s Books have sent me a gem. This is oral historian Esther Ehrlich’s first novel and after reading it (twice) I’m left wondering where has she been hiding? In Nest we meet Naomi “Chirp” Orenstein, an eleven-year-old bird watching enthusiast living in Cape Cod with her father, a psychiatrist, her mother, a former dancer and thirteen-year-old sister Rachel. Chirp is such a pure soul who loves nature, birds, and her family. She is particularly close to her mother and would do anything to make her smile, something that was becoming rare. As her world starts to change, Chirp grows closer to Joey, the strange boy that lives across the street. As she and Joey try to make sense of the changes taking place, Chirp’s world completely falls apart. 

I was so engrossed in Chirp’s world that I often forgot this story takes place in 1972. Normally I cringe when pop-culture references are thrown into a story, but this was an exception. References were sprinkled throughout and they always seemed to pop up right when I needed to be reminded that it wasn't 2014. I could really feel the love that the author has for Chirp and I fell in love with her too. Her way of looking at the world is so unique and special that I couldn't put the book down. I also loved Joey. In the beginning you think he’s just another “bad boy”, but as Chirp gets to know him, you realize he is a smart, sensitive boy, who is also a bit of a germophobe. I was so sad when the book was finished because I wanted to know what happened next. How will his and Chirp’s friendship change as they entered middle school? High school? And beyond. 

Nest deals with some pretty heavy themes and Ehrlich does a fantastic job addressing them in an age appropriate and sensitive way. She doesn't wrap everything up in a neat little bow, because that is not how real life is, but I still felt some closure in the end. I can’t recommend this book enough, and because of the sensitive nature of some of the themes, it is a good book for middle-grade children to read with their parents. Nest has really stayed with me (something that doesn't usually happen with middle-grade books) and I look forward to reading many more books from Esther Ehrlich in the future.

**Random House Children's Books and NetGalley provided me with a copy of this book to read and provide an honest review.**

No comments:

Post a Comment